Wednesday, February 4, 2015

So, um . . . what is that?

Today and yesterday I uploaded the epub version of Stormwalkers to Smashwords. Now, or within a few days Smashwords will be distributing Stormwalkers to a few more venues. Huzzah. I'll probably post a little more on this in the upcoming days.

One of the many author profile features that Smashwords utilizes is an author photo. Nothing amazing about that. All social media has a version of this in one form or another. So, not using the space would just be silly. Now I have never posted photos of myself on the internet, for alas I am a mash-up of Billy Barty grafted to Kelsey Grammer with both chaps tightly wrapped into a Drew Carey jellyroll. Eeeeeew! (No offense guys, all three of you are great at what you do. It's just hard looking like all three of you at once.) So, I prefer to use my art instead. And today I chose this.


Nope you can't read it. Smashwords has no enlargement feature and at first I decided to just let it be. It kind of looks like a book cover—just as I sort of look like a person? And that was its intention. But it isn't a book. Although, one day, it might make a nice title for an autobiographical piece. The Graphic Designer by Kevin Butterfield. Catchy title, no? But that was not the reason for its creation.

Here it is, readable form.




There you go. I can still hear you saying,” Um . . . what is that?”

I call it an expression of circumstance. Not catchy, but truthful. First and foremost its humor. The words tell it all. Here's a guy that can throw a book cover together in an afternoon, a utilitarian graphic designer, once a Morgan Horse of the printing industry (Not work horse, Morgan Horse. If the internet had a “what kind of horse are you?”, meme page, and it probably does, that's me: Morgan Horse. Look it up. http://www.morganhorse.com/about_morgan/history/  Great animal. Anyway.) now out to pasture, on his last leg from being kicked by another horse sort of thing.
 
So, when I lost my 25 year print industry occupation back in aught-nine, I put the expression of circumstance together as a cover for my promotional portfolio used at the unemployment office.

Their response?

My goodness, Mr. Butterfield, with talent like this I'm sure you'll find another job in no time. Um . . . what is that?”

Did I land a job? No. At that time, I truly didn't care what that dear woman thought either. Today, I care about what you know.
  1. Its' an oil on Masonite painting I did in '99. Interestingly enough it's a painting of my co-author in his prime. And no, he doesn't keep the company of strange winged beasts, wear furry pelts, or hang out on ice islands. Well not most of the time anyway.
  2. The sidebar is a mock-up logo design that I use for my freelance studio banner. Chimeric Dreams Studio. Catchy name. It behaves more like a phoenix than a chimera. From the ashes and all of that. More ashes than rebirth though.
  3. The book cover design is a sample of what I can put together in an afternoon with a cup of coffee. Am I trying to sell my services? No. Just our book. Stormwalkers.
It's a mash-up. Kind of like me. Kels-Bart-Drew. I find it amusing, and gushing with satire. Personal stuff. And now you know what it is.

Best Always.

1 comment: