Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Of mice and men, or how to humiliate yourself in one simple misstep, and so it goes . . .

As I have stated in other places, I am not the best when it comes to first impressions. Whether it be due to my humorous physicality, my imperfect sense of decorum, or a mathematical algorithm that ticktocks away in the background of my life—Matrix style, I can not say. I spent a lifetime examining this unbalanced equation to no avail. As many who know me can attest, it is observable and disturbingly predictable. I see it as challenging and part of my esoteric anatomy. An outsider looking in at a glance would just say, “Tough break bud, better luck next time.” But the astute oftentimes will declare after a year or two of paying very close attention, “Oh by the gods, how can this be? That's impossible! Run!”

And so it goes . . .

I and many others have come to the conclusion that I am trapped in some sort of cosmic Mr. Bean-esque melodrama where I have no artistic investment in the process other than being forced to live out the script, repeatedly. Furthermore it is a poorly cogitated and regurgitated script rendered up by a staff of sadistic psychopathic writers caught in a memory loop.

You see, I'm the man at the dinner party that drops his hors d'oeuvre down the bodice of the host, while she is introducing the guest of honor. I am the man in a line-up that gets fingered for the crime, even though I was far away, on the corner of fifth and vine, eating a slice of gluten free pizza while watching pigeons. I'm the sexist, racist, misogynistic, right wing, liberal, anarchist, that deserves the rope because I entered a room wearing brown socks on argyle socks day. 

And so it goes . . .

As you can surmise, I have an entire regime that I perform daily to keep this sadistic hijinks to a minimum. It is costly, time consuming, and quite often exhausting. I am certain a few of my friends that have made their careers in the mental health field have a label for my behavior. My other friends just enjoy telling others that I'm crazy. Which, when I say other friends, I am only speaking about the ones that haven't truly paid attention or are just too fearful of a world where such mysteries can be possible. And as you can guess that I am over careful when it comes to my presentment, you may also assume that I apply this to my correspondence, blogs, social medias, and to my writing. You can also be certain that on any given day five or ten events will slip past my diligence and do their due damage. (And when I say do-due I mean something else.)

This morning at 2:00 a.m., was one such event.

I had fallen asleep late in the evening, which I dislike because it creates patterns in my life that I can not manage. After only a few minutes of sleep I woke with a nagging feeling that something was amiss. The house was dark, quiet and peaceful. So, I went to my computer and opened my facebook. It has become a Pavlovian response for many of us. There I found an urgent message from a friend concerning an opportunity in regard to writing. It was essentially a timed event that looked as if it would be over before morning arrived. So, this event demanded some immediate attention and involved correspondence. 

And so it goes . . . 

Bleary-eyed and grumbling, I walked through all of the required steps that this event demanded. Then finished my missive with my usual close. I use it in nearly all of my social circles. I use it on my blog posts. I use it because I mean it. “Best Always!” It means, for me, many things. I wish you the best. I hope you apply your best in all things. I offer you my best. And I expect you to expect this from me. It is a genuine appellation. 

I proofed this letter, in my word processor, at least seventeen times. Yes, I usually pre-write all of my messages in a word processor first and then copy them into where I am posting after I am satisfied with the results. I recommend this for any of you that experience the same unbalanced life as I. I'm sure there must be many of you out there. It's my tip for the day.

And so it goes . . .

I then copied the document and all of its appropriate attachments into the email, and read it seventeen more times, making a few adjustments. Satisfied, I closed the letter and hit send. I took a deep breath and congratulated myself on waking when I had. I thought about fetching a cup of coffee, I thought about opening Daughter of the Laughing God and catching my word count early. Then something on my screen caught my eye. It was the normal notification given after sending a message. It read, 'Message sent. See sent message?' By clicking on it one is taken to the message. I thought, Sure friend, let's see how you'll look on the other end. And so I clicked it.

I read through the missive an eighteenth time, and sighed as I came toward its end. It looked quite safe. I was quite pleased. Then my eyes fell upon the close. It read: Beat Always, Kevin and Eric. 
 
And so it goes . . .

Perhaps an hour passed while I sat nonplussed, staring at the screen. Tears formed in the corners of my eyes. Then I burst out in a raucous laugh that set the house to shaking. Now, I knew why I couldn't sleep. When I woke I knew something was occurring in my crazy world and I needed to stop it. And as usual I became the reason for such worries. Double or multiple entendres are always the best way to foment your own demise. How to triple insult a new acquaintance, and lose old friends in one shot. I am the Master.

So, my dear friends, I am off to increase the word count on my prequel. And hopefully this mishap will only be one out five for the day. And yes Eric, I included your name in this missive since it had to do with Stormwalkers. I'll catch you up in an email.

So remember my friends:
Beat Always!

1 comment: